Despite India's impressive economic growth over recent decades, the country continues to face challenges of poverty, illiteracy, corruption, malnutrition and terrorism. Approximately 70% of the country lives on less than U.S. $2.00 a day. Yet, India is a home to over 3 million NGOs. Many of these leaders are working tirelessly to improve the social conditions of the country.

"Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship: A Case Study of India" will challenge students to confront more advanced issues faced by today's social entrepreneurs. The field experience of the course will take students to Mumbai and India. Students will meet Social Entrepreneurs and NGOs working at all societal levels to understand grassroots' needs as well as the overall public health infrastructure in India.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day # 10 Goodbye India.

Today was our last day of the course. We had a quick wrap up session to reflect upon the past two weeks and talk about our business plans for the final project. The past two weeks have been a rollercoaster of experiences and emotions, and I am truly grateful to be given this opportunity to join this class and embark on the first course of its kind at the SPH. I will always remember the people that we met, the places we visited, and have high hopes of returning to India to help in my own way.
As for my business plan, it is in the works. Some of us had time to share our ideas and receive feedback in class. One thing I have always appreciated in my public health courses is the extent of diversity in experiences and skills each student brings to the course. As Dr. Vyas pointed out in class as well, it is amazing to see how discussions are influenced by people and how their background/skills/interests push questions even further.
I am looking forward to the rest of my trip in India. I will be staying in India till Sept 2, 2011 to volunteer at an adolescent girl’s school in the rural regions of Gujarat. I plan on learning from the staff/students, and hopefully share my knowledge and skills as well.
Thank you all for reading.
Rashi

No comments:

Post a Comment