Despite India's impressive economic growth over recent decades, the country continues to face challenges of poverty, illiteracy, corruption, malnutrition and terrorism. Approximately 70% of the country lives on less than U.S. $2.00 a day. Yet, India is a home to over 3 million NGOs. Many of these leaders are working tirelessly to improve the social conditions of the country.

"Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship: A Case Study of India" will challenge students to confront more advanced issues faced by today's social entrepreneurs. The field experience of the course will take students to Mumbai and India. Students will meet Social Entrepreneurs and NGOs working at all societal levels to understand grassroots' needs as well as the overall public health infrastructure in India.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Hesitation with trepidation leads to exaltation.

08.05.11


Tumultuous ride
Vast green fields are spreading wide
Here lies unknown land


The window is blurred
The clouds linger blearily
The world feels heavy


My body rejects
My mind feels toxicity
Imodium please


Many miles pass by
Within a gate we do find
A microcosm


This school is my heart
This tribal clan is my kin
This unknown is home


I find purpose here
My path is suddenly clear
This school is my home


Their smiles are loving
Their interest is sincere
These children know me


Their laughs enchant me
But I see their hidden pain
All, deficiency


One NGO works
Impact India does help
But is this enough?


Many dreams they have
But what could be their future
No college for them


These children are bright
Some strive to be doctors
But how can that be?


I feel great sorrow
I feel great, fiery passion
I want to bring change


This school is the start
Education is a must
Opportunity


Invest in knowledge
Without school, there is no hope
The rice fields await


I wish I could stay
Spend my life helping these kids
I am here for you


This school is the start
Education is a must
Opportunity


But, alas, I left
I may never see them again
That thought breaks my heart


But I am hopeful
Another school I shall serve
Valsad waits for me


This trip gave me hope
This school is where I should be
Teaching tribal kids


This school is the start
Education is a must
Opportunity


This school is my heart
This tribal clan is my kin
This unknown is home.



this school is the start.






No comments:

Post a Comment