Despite India's impressive economic growth over recent decades, the country continues to face challenges of poverty, illiteracy, corruption, malnutrition and terrorism. Approximately 70% of the country lives on less than U.S. $2.00 a day. Yet, India is a home to over 3 million NGOs. Many of these leaders are working tirelessly to improve the social conditions of the country.

"Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship: A Case Study of India" will challenge students to confront more advanced issues faced by today's social entrepreneurs. The field experience of the course will take students to Mumbai and India. Students will meet Social Entrepreneurs and NGOs working at all societal levels to understand grassroots' needs as well as the overall public health infrastructure in India.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 10: Last Day of Class

From simply reading my blog I hope that it is apparent that this experience was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. I got to not only expand my interest in social entrepreneurship but I got to see it first hand in the country of India along with the importance and work of various NGOs. The people I met along the way have changed my life; the images I saw will forever be engraved in my memory. I hate to sound cliché, but this trip was everything I thought it’d be and more. Seeing the class reading come alive before us just proves that social entrepreneurship is real and is happening around is. It is not a fad, because there will always be people out there that have the drive and passion to make a social change. What we must work on is to have all of the skills needed including how to write a business plan, proper marketing skills, how to measure impact, knowing the target community, etc. One with out the other is ground for failure. Know the problem, know your method on fixing the problem, and if a solution is already out there (even if it’s only 90% solving the problem) go work for THAT organization don’t try and form a whole new idea, learn how to team together with other NGOs or social entrepreneurs. Well class may be over but I will be sure to keep in touch with the graduate students I have met and worked with on this trip along with Dr. Vyas and Dr. Parrish because I have learned SO much from them in these short six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment