Despite India's impressive economic growth over recent decades, the country continues to face challenges of poverty, illiteracy, corruption, malnutrition and terrorism. Approximately 70% of the country lives on less than U.S. $2.00 a day. Yet, India is a home to over 3 million NGOs. Many of these leaders are working tirelessly to improve the social conditions of the country.

"Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship: A Case Study of India" will challenge students to confront more advanced issues faced by today's social entrepreneurs. The field experience of the course will take students to Mumbai and India. Students will meet Social Entrepreneurs and NGOs working at all societal levels to understand grassroots' needs as well as the overall public health infrastructure in India.

Thursday, August 09, 2012

Mumbai is not the real India


I love seeing the stark contrast between urban and rural India. Yesterday we took a three-hour bus ride north of Mumbai to trek through the rural villages with the organization Impact India. Our journey was an example of how India is a clash between two completely different worlds: modern Mumbai vs. rough rural. It was really important for me to get out of the city and see that there is this whole other side to India. Even being here only a week I think it is easy to slip into the mindset that India is all pollution, noise, Bollywood, shopping and becoming more Westernized by the minute. But, then you travel just a few hours outside of the city and realize that India is still a very much developing country where cows rule and stores are far and few between. Going to the rural areas with Impact India made me feel more connected to the country and its people.

I keep thinking about what the women from ATMA said, “Mumbai is not the real India…well it is but it isn’t”. That makes so much sense to me. Yes, Mumbai and city life is an important aspect to see but it doesn’t represent the vast majority. The first time I was in India I spent about six weeks living in various rural villages and it was there that I really got to understand the culture and love its people. Seeing Mumbai the words beautiful and lush do not come to mind and I was starting to question why in my journal last time I kept using those two words. Then yesterday we traveled for hours through the forest and I saw all the green and new life the monsoon season brought and I felt justified in my pervious conviction: India is beautiful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment