Despite India's impressive economic growth over recent decades, the country continues to face challenges of poverty, illiteracy, corruption, malnutrition and terrorism. Approximately 70% of the country lives on less than U.S. $2.00 a day. Yet, India is a home to over 3 million NGOs. Many of these leaders are working tirelessly to improve the social conditions of the country.

"Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship: A Case Study of India" will challenge students to confront more advanced issues faced by today's social entrepreneurs. The field experience of the course will take students to Mumbai and India. Students will meet Social Entrepreneurs and NGOs working at all societal levels to understand grassroots' needs as well as the overall public health infrastructure in India.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Day 7: A Real Saturday...but in India!!


I didn’t wake up today until 1:30 in the afternoon. I was so exhausted so I was psyched that I could use today to rethink some of my business plan ideas and finally process everything that has been happening here in India. My “breakfast” coconut water and meditation by the sea prepped me for a day of some intense brainstorming and getting caught up on being a student in the more traditional senseJ!  I finally found a premier organization that I will use as a case study for my business plan. In fact, I have obsessively searched for the CEO of the organization and learned that she is currently taking some time off  so I am planning to write her letter that will hopefully turn into a back and forth or at least a response. Fingers crossed and good karma implored! I have finally concluded that I will be focused on job creation, empowerment, and promotion of sisterhood/community among women in Washington, DC. The social piece of the enterprise will be addressing the implications of homelessness like mental health issues, sexual and partner violence, drug use, sex work, and poor reproductive health outcomes. Yes I know, this is a lot but that’s why I’m here in India where there are over a million NGOs! To figure out how to tackle these nonsexy issues that are an everyday reality and struggle for too many people in a measurable, impactful, and SUSTAINABLE way. The rate of chronic homelessness in DC is out of control among women and families- and has approximately risen to a 40% rate according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). That is, families that have experienced more than one episode of living on the streets, in a shelter, or in any other place besides their home who also have some sort of disability/disease are in need of improved social services in the District. I am still trying to work out how advocacy and policy development will interact with my program so in my next NGO visits I will definitely start asking those kinds of tailored questions. Being in DC it should be a smooth transition. But I want to know how to position myself as the go-to shop for policy recommendations or city needs assessments. Similar to the 10-9-8 hot line we read about in our text, I want to not only be the organization that serves its community through direct services and share its best practices to other organizations but to also embody the importance of being accountable for and making the government account for the unmet/ignored needs of my community as well.   

I ended the day by having a steam room and sauna debrief session with Jess who is actually a key person in my business plan research. Like Bill Drayton from ASHOKA (ok hugely overstated, only in my dreams, and merely symbolically), it’s incredibly important to have an advisory board of off line people that encourage, support, and challenge you to take your business to the next level. Just getting to know Jess in general was really awesome. She is really knowledgeable about this community and very positive about making strides in this area!  It was perfect timing for our talk too because shortly thereafter I met some folks from the State Department with Lisa and Vidisha. Shopping around my idea was a little tough at first because I was met with blank stares and a few pretentious questions but at least I had some pre-counseling and was too relaxed to even get defensive. Looking forward to fine tuning my plans but already feeling like I’ve made some progress!!





No comments:

Post a Comment