Despite India's impressive economic growth over recent decades, the country continues to face challenges of poverty, illiteracy, corruption, malnutrition and terrorism. Approximately 70% of the country lives on less than U.S. $2.00 a day. Yet, India is a home to over 3 million NGOs. Many of these leaders are working tirelessly to improve the social conditions of the country.

"Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship: A Case Study of India" will challenge students to confront more advanced issues faced by today's social entrepreneurs. The field experience of the course will take students to Mumbai and India. Students will meet Social Entrepreneurs and NGOs working at all societal levels to understand grassroots' needs as well as the overall public health infrastructure in India.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

The day a cow stole my corn

Finally the Elephanta Caves in Mumbai! Half the adventure was taking the 30-minute ferry ride over to the island. The fog and pollution surrounding the city of Mumbai is so great that within a couple of minutes on the ferry the buildings began to disappear in the haze. There were huge shipping and carrier boats all around and our little boast wobbled through them towards the island. Once on the island we took a miniature train, like one you would see at Disneyland, to the bottom of the 120-step staircase leading to the caves. The pathway was lined with merchants, which at first disappointed me in what I felt was a enchanted forest island, but then I later learned that the people selling were native to the island and this was one of the only sources of income for them. The statues built into the caves were incredible. It always astonishes me how such skillful artwork was created hundreds of years ago and still stands for us to enjoy it now. Seeing such impressive statues and hearing the passionate stories of why they came to be made me thankful to be in India. To be surrounded by such culture and history always makes me feel inspired to see and learn more. Knowing that Hinduism is the oldest religion really puts its spiritual practices in perspective.


Before going to the caves everyone raved about the corn on the cob you buy from the street vendors there, so of course I had to try it out. I was proud because I had managed to keep my corn away from the monkeys, goats and dogs. However, I seemed to forget about the cows because while eating my corn I looked over and one was swiftly approaching me. So as gracefully as I could I screamed and threw the my corn to the cow, which he happily pushed me out of the way to eat in seconds. I guess if I had to give up my food to anyone it should be a sacred cow of India.

Later in the evening Netra, our Mumbai guide, invited the whole group over to her house for dinner and to watch her sister perform traditional Indian dance. Her sister and two other friends performed on the houses balcony and were incredible. I loved how each dance told a story and after it was over we got to learn about what each move meant and why her hands were positioned a certain way and so forth. Hinduism is so ingrained in every facet of Indian life that even the dancing told the stories of the religion and the girls danced with such passion because they fully believed in what they were telling. What struck me the most about the dancing were the eye movements. At one point the girl’s bodies were still and they were dancing with their eyes and I was just as enthralled as if they were doing gymnastics. Each eye movement was so deliberate and enhanced the story being told. In simple words: it was magnificent. Indian gatherings are memorable and at the same time all similar. They are all so welcoming and warm and with people constantly telling you to eat more and dance and tell stories. I love every bit of it. It makes me wish I came from a culture with the same amount of rich life and festivities. I can’t remember the last time I had a dance party where the entire family was involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment